March is National Nutrition Month making it the perfect time to take a good, hard look at what you eat, and spring into some healthier habits. Registered Dietitian, Ruth Carey gives some tips for making nutritious choices that are also delicious.
Take a look at the segment and then look below for information on Ruth’s Tips.
According to The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: “Initiated in 1973 as a week-long event, ‘National Nutrition Week’ became a month-long observance in 1980 in response to growing public interest in nutrition”. Each year, the Academy encourages Americans to remember the basics of healthy eating. Wouldn’t it be great if these basics became every day habits? Making a few simple changes in your eating choices, and especially in your snacking choices can make all the difference in creating healthy habits.
Start by taking the advice of The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and “Get Your Plate In Shape!” One step towards this goal, is to add more fruits and vegetable to your daily diet. And when it comes to fruit, you can’t beat strawberries as a super fruit for everyday. And California grown strawberries are the berries of choice in the United States.
- California strawberries are grown by more than 500 family farmers who produce nearly 90% of the strawberries grown in the U.S.
- Research studies have shown the positive effects that strawberries have on disease prevention, including cancer and heart disease, anti-aging, brain function and overall good health. In fact, one serving of eight strawberries has more vitamin C than an orange and is packed with beneficial antioxidants and nutrients including potassium and fiber.
For more information on California Strawberries, visit: http://www.californiastrawberries.com/
Snacking can be a source of anxiety when you are trying to stick to healthier eating habits. It’s so easy to go the vending machine and get a candy bar, or package of chips. But, if you plan your “snacks on-the-go” in advance, you can have a delicious snack that’s better for you. It’s one more healthier eating habit. Special K has two new flavors of granola bars that make “smart snacking” doable.
- New Special K Granola Bars, available in Dark Chocolate and Chocolatey Peanut Butter, are a delicious, on-the-go snack option that can help with weight management, especially as we shed layers of clothing with warmer weather on the horizon.
- Featuring the positive nutrition benefits provided by 4g of fiber and 4g of protein per serving, this smart snack option also delivers the lower calories and fat you expect from Special K.
For more information on Special K Granola Bars, visit: http://www.specialk.com/granola-bars
Once you’ve added more fruits and vegetables to your diet, and you’re on your way to smarter snacking, you need to examine the grains that are in your diet. The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics recommends that at least half of your grains be whole grains. Triscuit crackers are made from whole grains, and with all the varieties offered, they are a flavorful choice for adding whole grains to the menu.
- Triscuit Dill, Sea Salt and Olive Oil is a new, wholesome cracker perfect for spring snacking.
- It’s perfect for topping with fresh, spring ingredients like cucumber and feta cheese and is also “dill-licious” on its own. (all 3 flavors are in one cracker)
- Triscuit Dill, baked with 100% whole grain natural wheat, is a cracker you will love.
For more information on Triscuit Dill, visit: http://www.nabiscoworld.com/triscuit/
Once you’ve made these healthier food selections, you are on your way to having and keeping healthy eating habits this year!
*** This Satellite Media Tour is sponsored by The California Strawberry Commission, Special K, and Triscuit***